Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hard Times-Deep Thoughts

So it has been an up and down week. First off last Wednesday, 29th, my office laid off 13 individuals. It was kind of a shock and especially a shock of reality. Early in the week we had lost a big job that we had been told was our and we, me included, had been working our butts off on. When we lost that it really set us back. that was the job that was going to take us into the next years and keep us afloat. I am grateful to still have my job and i feel for those who lost theirs. As that horrible day went on in our office i recalled reading my friend Erin's blog and something that I thought was very inspiring. As i reread it that day I realized that i needed to share with everyone those words and remind us all that we will get through this. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that God will get us through the tough times. So here is what i had read and i thanked her for sharing it as did so many of my colleagues who really needed some light at the end of their dark day.

Scripture tells us that God is unchanging. He is the same today as he was yesterday, as he was thousands of years ago as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Think about the things that once consumed you with worry-last year, five years ago, last week-and then how He saw you through. We can look to the future with confidence in believing that the same God who saw us through the past will see us through the future. Because He says that He will. The same God who delivered Moses, who parted the Red Sea, is the same God who is with us today, who wants to take all of our worries, our doubts, our insecurities about the future and envelope us in His perfect Grace.

I will continue to remind myself of this as I work through other hard times in my life. Which is inevitable.
Yesterday I got a call from my dad informing that a very old family friend had taken his own life Sunday night. Mike was two years older than me, but I had known him my whole life. His mother used to watch me when i was first born, our family's visited in Denver, for a short while he attended my school and our biggest tie was our love for sailing. Both of our families where active in the Yacht Club. I was told his reasoning's were over the breakup of a girlfriend. However I have to wonder if there was more. I just CAN NOT grasp the idea that someone would take their own life over another person. I know that having your heart broken feels horrible but you will get over it, you will make it through, and life will go on. I will always remember him as a smiling happy guy. Every time I'd run into him he was always happy and chatty. But it just makes me sick. My young cousin did the same thing last year over a girl. And it literally tore my cousin (his mother) apart. People need to realize that their lives effect so many others. They may be hurting, but by ending their hurt they are in turn hurting so many more. It is such a selfish act. I hope that i never have to go through this again, but I'm sure i will. Such is life and such is our society.

So this post has been a real downer. I'm hoping to see the light at the end of all of this. And in time I'm sure I will. I will save the happy parts of my past week for another post. Because like I said within all of this sadness I have had some happy times. And for that I am grateful.

No comments: